Horses - Diet and Nutrition/light feed to racehorse

hi ma'am, can i feed my racehorse lightly 1 hour before taking it to the track? if yes, what all i can feed?

Hello Rohit,

Thank you for your question.  It is fine to allow your horse to eat forages before working, but you may want to be cautious feeding grain, especially cereal grains.  Exercise can increase the rate of passage of food through the digestive system and result in undigested soluble nutrients making it to the hindgut without having properly been digested.  Although in the case of protein and fats, this is not a big deal.  But if undigested non-structural carbohydrates end up in the cecum, the result can be cecal acidosis and increased risk of gas colic.  If in doubt, avoid feeding anything but forages immediately prior to intense exercise.

Thanks, Corlena

Horses - Diet and Nutrition

Corlena Patterson

I can help with any of your horse nutrition questions and concerns. I have been involved with horses for closing on 40 years, with a B.Sc in Animal Science and currently working on an M.Sc in Equine Science with the University of Edinburgh. I have owned my own feed store, consulted professionally as an equine nutritionist, and lectured in the fields of equine and dairy nutrition at the University level for 5 years. I have developed and currently market 'Ration-X', a ration formulation program for horses...designed for the everyday horse owner. I am happy to help in any way I can.

Experienced in developing and implementing feed programs for horses of all disciplines, creating custom horse supplements and managing inter-disciplinary equine facilities. Specialize in equine nutrition consulting.

The American Society of Equine Appraisers

'Stable Management' Handbook, Equine Canada.

M.Sc (Equine Science-current), B.Sc(Agr) Animal Science, Equine Sports Massage Therapy Certification, Farrier Certification, Equine Consultant Certification, Certified Equine Appraiser, Certified in Emergency Equine Rescue.