Horses - Diet and Nutrition/calcium fodder for horses

hello, what calcium fodder to be fed to horses both performance as well as pleasure riding horses?

Hello Rohit,

Thank you for your question.  Just to clarify, are you asking what sources of calcium are best for horses or are you looking for a forage selection that is rich in calcium.  Perhaps its a linguistic issue, but for me 'fodder' refers to more of a forage.  Calcium rich forages include legumes in general (i.e. alfalfa).  However, the most widely used calcium source in feeds is limestone.  

Thanks, Corlena

Horses - Diet and Nutrition

Corlena Patterson

I can help with any of your horse nutrition questions and concerns. I have been involved with horses for closing on 40 years, with a B.Sc in Animal Science and currently working on an M.Sc in Equine Science with the University of Edinburgh. I have owned my own feed store, consulted professionally as an equine nutritionist, and lectured in the fields of equine and dairy nutrition at the University level for 5 years. I have developed and currently market 'Ration-X', a ration formulation program for horses...designed for the everyday horse owner. I am happy to help in any way I can.

Experienced in developing and implementing feed programs for horses of all disciplines, creating custom horse supplements and managing inter-disciplinary equine facilities. Specialize in equine nutrition consulting.

The American Society of Equine Appraisers

'Stable Management' Handbook, Equine Canada.

M.Sc (Equine Science-current), B.Sc(Agr) Animal Science, Equine Sports Massage Therapy Certification, Farrier Certification, Equine Consultant Certification, Certified Equine Appraiser, Certified in Emergency Equine Rescue.