Horses - Diet and Nutrition/flaxseed for racehorses

hello ma'am, how much quantity of flaxseed should i feed a racing thoroughbred per day?

Hello Rohit,

Thank you for your question.  A recommendation for feeding flaxseed really needs to be based on some specifics about the horse being fed, and the basis for feeding the flax.  For example, if you're feeding flax to give your horse a shiny coat then 1-2 cups per day is a good feeding rate.  But if you are using flax as an energy source for performance you would naturally feed much more...and how much more is only determined by formulating a ration to determine how much you need.  There is no set amount that will do for every horse in every situation.

Thanks, Corlena

Horses - Diet and Nutrition

Corlena Patterson

I can help with any of your horse nutrition questions and concerns. I have been involved with horses for closing on 40 years, with a B.Sc in Animal Science and currently working on an M.Sc in Equine Science with the University of Edinburgh. I have owned my own feed store, consulted professionally as an equine nutritionist, and lectured in the fields of equine and dairy nutrition at the University level for 5 years. I have developed and currently market 'Ration-X', a ration formulation program for horses...designed for the everyday horse owner. I am happy to help in any way I can.

Experienced in developing and implementing feed programs for horses of all disciplines, creating custom horse supplements and managing inter-disciplinary equine facilities. Specialize in equine nutrition consulting.

The American Society of Equine Appraisers

'Stable Management' Handbook, Equine Canada.

M.Sc (Equine Science-current), B.Sc(Agr) Animal Science, Equine Sports Massage Therapy Certification, Farrier Certification, Equine Consultant Certification, Certified Equine Appraiser, Certified in Emergency Equine Rescue.