Horses - Diet and Nutrition/improving body condition

hello ma'am, how can i improve the body condition of this horse. seems to look weak. correct?

Hello Rohit,

Thank you for your question.  I would agree that this horse is in poor body condition and should ideally gain weight and increase body condition score.  Basically, feeding the horse a diet that provides more energy than the horse requires (creating an energy surplus) will help the horse gain weight.  How much energy the horse should consume would be a function of the horse's current size, age and level of activity. In addition to ensuring the horse is receiving enough dietary energy to encourage weight gain, you are going to want to make sure the diet supports the horse's protein, mineral and vitamin requirements as they will all have a role in gaining condition.

Of course, you will also want to make sure that the horse does not have any disorders or diseases that prevent it from gaining weight, including teeth issues and parasite infestations.

Thanks, Corlena  

Horses - Diet and Nutrition

Corlena Patterson

I can help with any of your horse nutrition questions and concerns. I have been involved with horses for closing on 40 years, with a B.Sc in Animal Science and currently working on an M.Sc in Equine Science with the University of Edinburgh. I have owned my own feed store, consulted professionally as an equine nutritionist, and lectured in the fields of equine and dairy nutrition at the University level for 5 years. I have developed and currently market 'Ration-X', a ration formulation program for horses...designed for the everyday horse owner. I am happy to help in any way I can.

Experienced in developing and implementing feed programs for horses of all disciplines, creating custom horse supplements and managing inter-disciplinary equine facilities. Specialize in equine nutrition consulting.

The American Society of Equine Appraisers

'Stable Management' Handbook, Equine Canada.

M.Sc (Equine Science-current), B.Sc(Agr) Animal Science, Equine Sports Massage Therapy Certification, Farrier Certification, Equine Consultant Certification, Certified Equine Appraiser, Certified in Emergency Equine Rescue.