Horses - Diet and Nutrition/turn out on pastures - horse becoming fat

hello ma'am, dont horses turn fast and suffer from colic when they are allowed to graze on pastures for longer time?

Hello Rohit,

Thank you for your question.  In a natural habitat, horses graze freely and exclusively on pasture, all be it the pasture is likely not as lush as cultured fields.  Pasture can cause horses to colic, although that is normally only the case when they have not been given the time to adopt to new pasture or a change from preserved forage to pasture.  If horses have been acclimatized to new forage, they can have unlimited access to it without it necessarily inducing colic.   Taking time to get the horses used to new pasture will help avoid colic issues.

Thanks, Corlena

Horses - Diet and Nutrition

Corlena Patterson

I can help with any of your horse nutrition questions and concerns. I have been involved with horses for closing on 40 years, with a B.Sc in Animal Science and currently working on an M.Sc in Equine Science with the University of Edinburgh. I have owned my own feed store, consulted professionally as an equine nutritionist, and lectured in the fields of equine and dairy nutrition at the University level for 5 years. I have developed and currently market 'Ration-X', a ration formulation program for horses...designed for the everyday horse owner. I am happy to help in any way I can.

Experienced in developing and implementing feed programs for horses of all disciplines, creating custom horse supplements and managing inter-disciplinary equine facilities. Specialize in equine nutrition consulting.

The American Society of Equine Appraisers

'Stable Management' Handbook, Equine Canada.

M.Sc (Equine Science-current), B.Sc(Agr) Animal Science, Equine Sports Massage Therapy Certification, Farrier Certification, Equine Consultant Certification, Certified Equine Appraiser, Certified in Emergency Equine Rescue.