Horses - Diet and Nutrition/salt per 100kgs body weight

hello ma'am, regarding equine diet, how much quantity salt shall I add per 100kg body weight?

Hello Rohit,

Thank you for your question.  The NRC Nutrient Requirements of Horses (Committee on Nutrient Requirements of Horses, 2007) recommends 1.6-1.8 grams per kg of dry matter intake for maintenance, growing horses and late gestation mares, and 3.6 grams per kg dry matter intake for horses in moderate to heavy work.

Thanks, Corlena

Horses - Diet and Nutrition

Corlena Patterson

I can help with any of your horse nutrition questions and concerns. I have been involved with horses for closing on 40 years, with a B.Sc in Animal Science and currently working on an M.Sc in Equine Science with the University of Edinburgh. I have owned my own feed store, consulted professionally as an equine nutritionist, and lectured in the fields of equine and dairy nutrition at the University level for 5 years. I have developed and currently market 'Ration-X', a ration formulation program for horses...designed for the everyday horse owner. I am happy to help in any way I can.

Experienced in developing and implementing feed programs for horses of all disciplines, creating custom horse supplements and managing inter-disciplinary equine facilities. Specialize in equine nutrition consulting.

The American Society of Equine Appraisers

'Stable Management' Handbook, Equine Canada.

M.Sc (Equine Science-current), B.Sc(Agr) Animal Science, Equine Sports Massage Therapy Certification, Farrier Certification, Equine Consultant Certification, Certified Equine Appraiser, Certified in Emergency Equine Rescue.