Horses - Diet and Nutrition/sensitive stomach

hello ma'am, do only thoroughbreds have sensitive stomach or all the horse breeds have sensitive stomach?

Hi Rohit,

Thank you for your question.  The suggestion that Thoroughbreds have more 'sensitive' stomachs is more anecdotal than science based.  Diet (ingredients and management) has more influence on the function and health of the stomach than does breed.  Perhaps the issue is more the type of diet that Thoroughbreds in training are subject to that creates a higher prevalence of stomach 'issues'.

Thanks, Colrena

Horses - Diet and Nutrition

Corlena Patterson

I can help with any of your horse nutrition questions and concerns. I have been involved with horses for closing on 40 years, with a B.Sc in Animal Science and currently working on an M.Sc in Equine Science with the University of Edinburgh. I have owned my own feed store, consulted professionally as an equine nutritionist, and lectured in the fields of equine and dairy nutrition at the University level for 5 years. I have developed and currently market 'Ration-X', a ration formulation program for horses...designed for the everyday horse owner. I am happy to help in any way I can.

Experienced in developing and implementing feed programs for horses of all disciplines, creating custom horse supplements and managing inter-disciplinary equine facilities. Specialize in equine nutrition consulting.

The American Society of Equine Appraisers

'Stable Management' Handbook, Equine Canada.

M.Sc (Equine Science-current), B.Sc(Agr) Animal Science, Equine Sports Massage Therapy Certification, Farrier Certification, Equine Consultant Certification, Certified Equine Appraiser, Certified in Emergency Equine Rescue.