Horses - Diet and Nutrition/feeding schedule for our horses

hello ma'am, here at our local racetrack, horses are fed twice a day. once around 9am and second time around 6pm. as you told me that horses feel hungry for every 4 hours, now how come these horses stay without feeling hungry? our horses are fed, oats, wheat bran, carrots, lucerne, supplements and hay.

Hello Rohit,

Thank you for your question.  I suggested that horses should not go any longer than 4 hours without food, but did not suggest that they needed to be fed every 4 hours.  Given what you are feeding, I would imagine that the horses eat the oats, bran, carrots, lucerne and supplements right away but pick at the hay through the day.  If they truly aren't hungry by the next feeding time, they've likely been fed enough hay at the previous feeding to keep them through the day.

Thanks, Corlena

Horses - Diet and Nutrition

Corlena Patterson

I can help with any of your horse nutrition questions and concerns. I have been involved with horses for closing on 40 years, with a B.Sc in Animal Science and currently working on an M.Sc in Equine Science with the University of Edinburgh. I have owned my own feed store, consulted professionally as an equine nutritionist, and lectured in the fields of equine and dairy nutrition at the University level for 5 years. I have developed and currently market 'Ration-X', a ration formulation program for horses...designed for the everyday horse owner. I am happy to help in any way I can.

Experienced in developing and implementing feed programs for horses of all disciplines, creating custom horse supplements and managing inter-disciplinary equine facilities. Specialize in equine nutrition consulting.

The American Society of Equine Appraisers

'Stable Management' Handbook, Equine Canada.

M.Sc (Equine Science-current), B.Sc(Agr) Animal Science, Equine Sports Massage Therapy Certification, Farrier Certification, Equine Consultant Certification, Certified Equine Appraiser, Certified in Emergency Equine Rescue.