Horses - Diet and Nutrition/oats or barley for horses

hello ma'am, are OATS good for thoroughbred racehorses or BARLEY good? few of our trainers feed oats and few feed barley. which of the above grains would you suggest me to feed thoroughbred racehorses?

Hello Rohit,

Thank you for your question.  If you are going to feed a cereal grain to horses, oats are by far the best choice.  Oats are higher in fiber and protein than barley and have a higher rate of pre-cecal digestibility...making them a safer choice.

Thanks, Corlena

Horses - Diet and Nutrition

Corlena Patterson

I can help with any of your horse nutrition questions and concerns. I have been involved with horses for closing on 40 years, with a B.Sc in Animal Science and currently working on an M.Sc in Equine Science with the University of Edinburgh. I have owned my own feed store, consulted professionally as an equine nutritionist, and lectured in the fields of equine and dairy nutrition at the University level for 5 years. I have developed and currently market 'Ration-X', a ration formulation program for horses...designed for the everyday horse owner. I am happy to help in any way I can.

Experienced in developing and implementing feed programs for horses of all disciplines, creating custom horse supplements and managing inter-disciplinary equine facilities. Specialize in equine nutrition consulting.

The American Society of Equine Appraisers

'Stable Management' Handbook, Equine Canada.

M.Sc (Equine Science-current), B.Sc(Agr) Animal Science, Equine Sports Massage Therapy Certification, Farrier Certification, Equine Consultant Certification, Certified Equine Appraiser, Certified in Emergency Equine Rescue.