Horses - Diet and Nutrition/too much phosphorus

hello ma'am. may i know what happens if i feed too much of phosphorus to racehorses?

Hello Rohit,

Feeding excessive amounts of phosphorous in a horse's diet can reduce the rate of calcium absorption and lead to chronic calcium deficiency.  Not only is the concentration of dietary Phosphorous important, you need to ensure that you are feeding the correct Calcium:Phosphorous ratio.  As with your Calcium question, you want to keep your rations balanced.

Thanks, Corlena

Horses - Diet and Nutrition

Corlena Patterson

I can help with any of your horse nutrition questions and concerns. I have been involved with horses for closing on 40 years, with a B.Sc in Animal Science and currently working on an M.Sc in Equine Science with the University of Edinburgh. I have owned my own feed store, consulted professionally as an equine nutritionist, and lectured in the fields of equine and dairy nutrition at the University level for 5 years. I have developed and currently market 'Ration-X', a ration formulation program for horses...designed for the everyday horse owner. I am happy to help in any way I can.

Experienced in developing and implementing feed programs for horses of all disciplines, creating custom horse supplements and managing inter-disciplinary equine facilities. Specialize in equine nutrition consulting.

The American Society of Equine Appraisers

'Stable Management' Handbook, Equine Canada.

M.Sc (Equine Science-current), B.Sc(Agr) Animal Science, Equine Sports Massage Therapy Certification, Farrier Certification, Equine Consultant Certification, Certified Equine Appraiser, Certified in Emergency Equine Rescue.