Horses - Diet and Nutrition/raceday feed for horses likely to race

hello ma'am. at our local racetrack, trainers feed oats, wheat bran, carrots, salt crystals, glucose, lucerne(alfalfa legume) and supplements to racehorses. but, the horses which are likely to race are fed only with oats, wheat bran and salt crystals. may i know why?

Helo Rohit,

From a strictly nutritional standpoint, I can't say why your local trainers have adopted the race day feeding schedule you've described.  I can only speculate that the program is a function of management and strategy.  

Thanks, Corlena

Horses - Diet and Nutrition

Corlena Patterson

I can help with any of your horse nutrition questions and concerns. I have been involved with horses for closing on 40 years, with a B.Sc in Animal Science and currently working on an M.Sc in Equine Science with the University of Edinburgh. I have owned my own feed store, consulted professionally as an equine nutritionist, and lectured in the fields of equine and dairy nutrition at the University level for 5 years. I have developed and currently market 'Ration-X', a ration formulation program for horses...designed for the everyday horse owner. I am happy to help in any way I can.

Experienced in developing and implementing feed programs for horses of all disciplines, creating custom horse supplements and managing inter-disciplinary equine facilities. Specialize in equine nutrition consulting.

The American Society of Equine Appraisers

'Stable Management' Handbook, Equine Canada.

M.Sc (Equine Science-current), B.Sc(Agr) Animal Science, Equine Sports Massage Therapy Certification, Farrier Certification, Equine Consultant Certification, Certified Equine Appraiser, Certified in Emergency Equine Rescue.