Horses - Diet and Nutrition/excess protein shots - affects performers health

hello ma'am. how are you? dont horses suffer from health issues if they are always on protein shots? our local racehorse trainers are greedy people. their motto is to fool the public and make tons of money. they feed less, train less, give less lay off to horses with more protein shots

Hello Caine,

I'm not sure what type of 'protein shot' you are referring to, if its feed, liquid or an injection.  So I don't know that I can speak to the practice specifically or make a judgement on intent.

From a nutritional perspective, protein is important for performance.  Protein is the building block for muscle and more muscle means more power for performance.  But too much of a good thing is not a good thing.  When you feed more protein than an animal can use to build muscle, the excess protein in the bloodstream can cause metabolic disorders until it can be eliminated from the body.  Coming back to your previous question, the amount of any nutrient you feed should be based on what your horse needs.  Feed to meet requirements and avoid excesses.

Horses - Diet and Nutrition

Corlena Patterson

I can help with any of your horse nutrition questions and concerns. I have been involved with horses for closing on 40 years, with a B.Sc in Animal Science and currently working on an M.Sc in Equine Science with the University of Edinburgh. I have owned my own feed store, consulted professionally as an equine nutritionist, and lectured in the fields of equine and dairy nutrition at the University level for 5 years. I have developed and currently market 'Ration-X', a ration formulation program for horses...designed for the everyday horse owner. I am happy to help in any way I can.

Experienced in developing and implementing feed programs for horses of all disciplines, creating custom horse supplements and managing inter-disciplinary equine facilities. Specialize in equine nutrition consulting.

The American Society of Equine Appraisers

'Stable Management' Handbook, Equine Canada.

M.Sc (Equine Science-current), B.Sc(Agr) Animal Science, Equine Sports Massage Therapy Certification, Farrier Certification, Equine Consultant Certification, Certified Equine Appraiser, Certified in Emergency Equine Rescue.