Horses - Diet and Nutrition/altering feeding time schedule from 2 to 3 times a day

hello ma'am. could you please suggest me the right feeding timing schedule for thoroughbred racehorses? timings for grooms are 5:30am to 9:15am and 3:30pm to 6pm. we feed our horses 2 times a day that is at 9am and evening meal around 6pm. my boss(trainer) feeds 3kg oats along with supplements in the morning meal and 4.5kg oats in the evening. i want to alter this schedule from two to three times a day.

Hello Caine,

7.5kg (16.5 pounds)of oats a day is a LOT for a horse and definitely better spread out over a greater number of feedings.  My suggestion would be to add a mid day feeding, or move up the evening feeding to early afternoon and add a late night feeding.  But I guess that depends on what resources you have available.  You are going to want to ensure that the feedings are separated by a number of hours, and that they are not fed a large amount of grain immediately before exercising.  

Thanks, Corlena

Horses - Diet and Nutrition

Corlena Patterson

I can help with any of your horse nutrition questions and concerns. I have been involved with horses for closing on 40 years, with a B.Sc in Animal Science and currently working on an M.Sc in Equine Science with the University of Edinburgh. I have owned my own feed store, consulted professionally as an equine nutritionist, and lectured in the fields of equine and dairy nutrition at the University level for 5 years. I have developed and currently market 'Ration-X', a ration formulation program for horses...designed for the everyday horse owner. I am happy to help in any way I can.

Experienced in developing and implementing feed programs for horses of all disciplines, creating custom horse supplements and managing inter-disciplinary equine facilities. Specialize in equine nutrition consulting.

The American Society of Equine Appraisers

'Stable Management' Handbook, Equine Canada.

M.Sc (Equine Science-current), B.Sc(Agr) Animal Science, Equine Sports Massage Therapy Certification, Farrier Certification, Equine Consultant Certification, Certified Equine Appraiser, Certified in Emergency Equine Rescue.