Horses - Diet and Nutrition/kancha hay info

Question
hello ma'am. can you give me some information on kancha hay(sehima nervosum). can you please explain briefly on its taste, fibre, calcium, phosphorous and starch content?

Answer
Hello Caine,

The nutrient composition of a forage depends largely on the conditions under which it was grown and the average plant maturity at the time of consumption or harvest.  One example I can provide of the composition of kancha hay from India was part of a study by Ludwig, De Kroon and Prins (2008)where the NDF was 1%, Protein 9.7%, Calcium 0.36%, Phosphorous 0.13%, Magnesium 0.06% and Potassium 0.8%.  Of course, this provides only a brief snapshot from one point in time, but it does provide some reference.

Thanks, Corlena  

Horses - Diet and Nutrition

Corlena Patterson