Horses - Diet and Nutrition/kancha hay info

hello ma'am. can you give me some information on kancha hay(sehima nervosum). can you please explain briefly on its taste, fibre, calcium, phosphorous and starch content?

Hello Caine,

The nutrient composition of a forage depends largely on the conditions under which it was grown and the average plant maturity at the time of consumption or harvest.  One example I can provide of the composition of kancha hay from India was part of a study by Ludwig, De Kroon and Prins (2008)where the NDF was 1%, Protein 9.7%, Calcium 0.36%, Phosphorous 0.13%, Magnesium 0.06% and Potassium 0.8%.  Of course, this provides only a brief snapshot from one point in time, but it does provide some reference.

Thanks, Corlena  

Horses - Diet and Nutrition

Corlena Patterson

I can help with any of your horse nutrition questions and concerns. I have been involved with horses for closing on 40 years, with a B.Sc in Animal Science and currently working on an M.Sc in Equine Science with the University of Edinburgh. I have owned my own feed store, consulted professionally as an equine nutritionist, and lectured in the fields of equine and dairy nutrition at the University level for 5 years. I have developed and currently market 'Ration-X', a ration formulation program for horses...designed for the everyday horse owner. I am happy to help in any way I can.

Experienced in developing and implementing feed programs for horses of all disciplines, creating custom horse supplements and managing inter-disciplinary equine facilities. Specialize in equine nutrition consulting.

The American Society of Equine Appraisers

'Stable Management' Handbook, Equine Canada.

M.Sc (Equine Science-current), B.Sc(Agr) Animal Science, Equine Sports Massage Therapy Certification, Farrier Certification, Equine Consultant Certification, Certified Equine Appraiser, Certified in Emergency Equine Rescue.