Horses - Diet and Nutrition/no oats for horses returning from hard race

Question
hello ma'am. i strongly believe that racehorses which return from a hard race or heavy exercise shouldn't be fed with oats that complete day since they would you suffering from mild ulcers. i would like to feed them with bran, chopped alfalfa hay and supplements. would you suggest me?

Answer
Hello Caine,

There are a number of different opinions on what and how much grain you should feed horses following race day.  Although post-race is the best time to feed non-structural carbohydrates that will replenish lost muscle and liver glycogen stores, heavy grain meals when dry matter intake is low can be digestively damaging. I would suggest you ensure unlimited access to quality forage, and moderate the feeding of grains and concentrates on an as-needed basis.

Thanks, Corlena  

Horses - Diet and Nutrition

Corlena Patterson