Horses - Diet and Nutrition/clover hay good in fiber or not

kancha hay
kancha hay  
hello ma'am. is clover hay rich in fiber compared to sehima nervosum, timothy and alfalfa hay. here in INDIA, we feed kancha(sehima nervosum) hay. i have attached images of our local hay.

Hello Rohit,

Thank you for your question.  The fiber content of forages vary widely with their level of maturity, with forages lower in fiber in early maturity and higher in late maturity.  On a dry matter basis at mid-maturity, grasses have higher fiber content than legumes.  That's to say that at the same relative stage of maturity, kancha and timothy will have higher fiber content than clover and alfalfa.

Thanks, Corlena

Horses - Diet and Nutrition

Corlena Patterson

I can help with any of your horse nutrition questions and concerns. I have been involved with horses for closing on 40 years, with a B.Sc in Animal Science and currently working on an M.Sc in Equine Science with the University of Edinburgh. I have owned my own feed store, consulted professionally as an equine nutritionist, and lectured in the fields of equine and dairy nutrition at the University level for 5 years. I have developed and currently market 'Ration-X', a ration formulation program for horses...designed for the everyday horse owner. I am happy to help in any way I can.

Experienced in developing and implementing feed programs for horses of all disciplines, creating custom horse supplements and managing inter-disciplinary equine facilities. Specialize in equine nutrition consulting.

The American Society of Equine Appraisers

'Stable Management' Handbook, Equine Canada.

M.Sc (Equine Science-current), B.Sc(Agr) Animal Science, Equine Sports Massage Therapy Certification, Farrier Certification, Equine Consultant Certification, Certified Equine Appraiser, Certified in Emergency Equine Rescue.