Horses - Diet and Nutrition/feeding chopped alfalfa hay for hard runner after the race

Question
hello ma'am. lets suppose my horse ran a hard race today. its common that it wont eat its feed for two days. i would like to provide him 3 bundles of dry hay after the race and shall add chopped alfalfa hay in his evening meal so that ulcers would suppress down temporarily. the next 5 days, he would be on ULCERGARD paste. is my idea okay?

Answer
Hello Rohit,

Alfalfa is a good forage source for horses, and its level of nutrient density makes it an ideal forage source for horses in heavy work.  I'm not sure that providing it in a chopped form will provide extra protection against the development of ulcers.  In fact, the dry hay may be of more help in that regard as it provides a means of absorbing stomach acid and diffusing it through the digestive system.  Most importantly, you're going to want your horse to have unlimited access to forage to help deter ulcer formation.

Corlena

Horses - Diet and Nutrition

Corlena Patterson