Horses - Diet and Nutrition/beet pulp - concentrate

Question
hello ma'am. i believe that BEET PULP is a concentrate. actually, what does CONCENTRATES mean in equine nutrition? what all does it contain?

Answer
Hello Caine,

Concentrate is another term sometimes mistakenly used to refer to 'grain' and includes cereal and non-cereal based additives like processed fiber, protein, mineral and vitamin sources.  The term means that the ingredient has been processed to concentrate a specific nutrient.  Although technically beet pulp can be considered a concentrate based on the level of processing that has occurred to concentrate the fiber in the feed, the horse's digestive system still recognizes beet pulp as a fiber source.  

Thanks, Corlena

Horses - Diet and Nutrition

Corlena Patterson