Horses - Diet and Nutrition/soybean oil in horse feed

hello ma'am. is soyabean oil a good source of fat to horses especially racing thoroughbreds? if yes, may i know  in what quantity to add in the  horse feed per meal per 100kg body weight? we feed our horses 2 times a day.

Hello Caine,

Thank you for your question.  Soybean oil is a great source of fat for a horse's diet.  In all, a diet should not contain more than 10% fat, including fat from all sources. The exact amount that you should feed really depends on your horse's requirements and the composition of the rest of diet.

Thanks, Corlena  

Horses - Diet and Nutrition

Corlena Patterson

I can help with any of your horse nutrition questions and concerns. I have been involved with horses for closing on 40 years, with a B.Sc in Animal Science and currently working on an M.Sc in Equine Science with the University of Edinburgh. I have owned my own feed store, consulted professionally as an equine nutritionist, and lectured in the fields of equine and dairy nutrition at the University level for 5 years. I have developed and currently market 'Ration-X', a ration formulation program for horses...designed for the everyday horse owner. I am happy to help in any way I can.

Experienced in developing and implementing feed programs for horses of all disciplines, creating custom horse supplements and managing inter-disciplinary equine facilities. Specialize in equine nutrition consulting.

The American Society of Equine Appraisers

'Stable Management' Handbook, Equine Canada.

M.Sc (Equine Science-current), B.Sc(Agr) Animal Science, Equine Sports Massage Therapy Certification, Farrier Certification, Equine Consultant Certification, Certified Equine Appraiser, Certified in Emergency Equine Rescue.