Horses - Diet and Nutrition/ginger supplement

hello ma'am. what is the purpose of using ginger supplement to racehorses. my trainer uses TWYDIL REINSTALL

Hello Caine,

Thank you for your question.  There are a number of differing opinions on the suitability of ginger for horses.  Where some suggest it aids digestion, others say that it can be an irritant to the digestive system.  From a purely science-based nutrition perspective, I'm not a fan of a lot of supplements to try and fix nutritional issues.  If your horse has digestive problems, the solution should be fixing the problem, not patching the symptom with a bandaid supplement.

Because there isn't a lot of research to support the use of ginger in horses, I'm going to stay away from making a recommendation on why, how and when to include it in a horse's diet.

Thanks, Corlena

Horses - Diet and Nutrition

Corlena Patterson

I can help with any of your horse nutrition questions and concerns. I have been involved with horses for closing on 40 years, with a B.Sc in Animal Science and currently working on an M.Sc in Equine Science with the University of Edinburgh. I have owned my own feed store, consulted professionally as an equine nutritionist, and lectured in the fields of equine and dairy nutrition at the University level for 5 years. I have developed and currently market 'Ration-X', a ration formulation program for horses...designed for the everyday horse owner. I am happy to help in any way I can.

Experienced in developing and implementing feed programs for horses of all disciplines, creating custom horse supplements and managing inter-disciplinary equine facilities. Specialize in equine nutrition consulting.

The American Society of Equine Appraisers

'Stable Management' Handbook, Equine Canada.

M.Sc (Equine Science-current), B.Sc(Agr) Animal Science, Equine Sports Massage Therapy Certification, Farrier Certification, Equine Consultant Certification, Certified Equine Appraiser, Certified in Emergency Equine Rescue.