Horses - Diet and Nutrition/barley only 1/2kg

Hello ma'am. at our local racetrack, trainers feed 1/2 kg cooked barley in the evenings along with oats, bran and supplements. may i know why such small ratio? why not the same amount of oats?

Hello Caine,

Thank you for your question.  Horse's do not have a daily requirement for a kind of feed, they have daily requirements for nutrients.  So the choice to feed specific ingredients should be based on what nutrients they bring to the diet and how much of each nutrient the horse needs.  I can only assume that the trainers' decision to feed these ingredients is based on meeting horses' dietary needs.  There is no other mandatory feeding regime that dictates the diet you've provided.

Thanks, Corlena

Horses - Diet and Nutrition

Corlena Patterson

I can help with any of your horse nutrition questions and concerns. I have been involved with horses for closing on 40 years, with a B.Sc in Animal Science and currently working on an M.Sc in Equine Science with the University of Edinburgh. I have owned my own feed store, consulted professionally as an equine nutritionist, and lectured in the fields of equine and dairy nutrition at the University level for 5 years. I have developed and currently market 'Ration-X', a ration formulation program for horses...designed for the everyday horse owner. I am happy to help in any way I can.

Experienced in developing and implementing feed programs for horses of all disciplines, creating custom horse supplements and managing inter-disciplinary equine facilities. Specialize in equine nutrition consulting.

The American Society of Equine Appraisers

'Stable Management' Handbook, Equine Canada.

M.Sc (Equine Science-current), B.Sc(Agr) Animal Science, Equine Sports Massage Therapy Certification, Farrier Certification, Equine Consultant Certification, Certified Equine Appraiser, Certified in Emergency Equine Rescue.