Horses - Diet and Nutrition/checking horse body weight

hello ma'am. my thoroughbred race gelding weighs 456kgs. how frequently should i check his weight to feed him in right ratio as per his body weight?

Hello Caine,

Thank you for your question.  Changes in body weight take place gradually, so measuring or weighing a horse more than once every 3-4 weeks seems futile.  If your goal is to maintain weight, once every few months is plenty.  If you're trying to get your horse to gain or lose weight, once every 3 weeks is better.

Thanks, Corlena

Horses - Diet and Nutrition

Corlena Patterson

I can help with any of your horse nutrition questions and concerns. I have been involved with horses for closing on 40 years, with a B.Sc in Animal Science and currently working on an M.Sc in Equine Science with the University of Edinburgh. I have owned my own feed store, consulted professionally as an equine nutritionist, and lectured in the fields of equine and dairy nutrition at the University level for 5 years. I have developed and currently market 'Ration-X', a ration formulation program for horses...designed for the everyday horse owner. I am happy to help in any way I can.

Experienced in developing and implementing feed programs for horses of all disciplines, creating custom horse supplements and managing inter-disciplinary equine facilities. Specialize in equine nutrition consulting.

The American Society of Equine Appraisers

'Stable Management' Handbook, Equine Canada.

M.Sc (Equine Science-current), B.Sc(Agr) Animal Science, Equine Sports Massage Therapy Certification, Farrier Certification, Equine Consultant Certification, Certified Equine Appraiser, Certified in Emergency Equine Rescue.