Horses - Diet and Nutrition/importance of supplementing racehorses

hello ma'am. may i know why do trainers supplement their racehorses?

Hello Caine,

A horse's diet, which includes supplements, should be designed to ensure that it meets all of the horse's nutrient requirements.  Depending on the quality of forages you have and/or the amount of work that your horse is doing, supplements may be necessary to ensure a balanced diet.  Meeting nutrient requirements is the reason why you should feed supplements...although all too often people feed unnecessary supplements hoping they will provide some kind of competitive advantage.  

Thanks, Corlena

Horses - Diet and Nutrition

Corlena Patterson

I can help with any of your horse nutrition questions and concerns. I have been involved with horses for closing on 40 years, with a B.Sc in Animal Science and currently working on an M.Sc in Equine Science with the University of Edinburgh. I have owned my own feed store, consulted professionally as an equine nutritionist, and lectured in the fields of equine and dairy nutrition at the University level for 5 years. I have developed and currently market 'Ration-X', a ration formulation program for horses...designed for the everyday horse owner. I am happy to help in any way I can.

Experienced in developing and implementing feed programs for horses of all disciplines, creating custom horse supplements and managing inter-disciplinary equine facilities. Specialize in equine nutrition consulting.

The American Society of Equine Appraisers

'Stable Management' Handbook, Equine Canada.

M.Sc (Equine Science-current), B.Sc(Agr) Animal Science, Equine Sports Massage Therapy Certification, Farrier Certification, Equine Consultant Certification, Certified Equine Appraiser, Certified in Emergency Equine Rescue.