Horses - Diet and Nutrition/no jaggery for ulcer horses

hello ma'am. why not to add sweet feed like jaggery for ulcer candidates?

Hello Caine,

Diets high in soluble carbohydrates (i.e. starch and sugar) can increase the risk and severity of gastric ulcers in horses, especially when combined with limited forage intake and/or periods of feed deprivation.  Horse's with gastric ulcers, or those at risk for developing ulcers, should be maintained on low-starch diets or have starch-based ingredients fed in smaller amounts per feeding.  

Thanks, Corlena

Horses - Diet and Nutrition

Corlena Patterson

I can help with any of your horse nutrition questions and concerns. I have been involved with horses for closing on 40 years, with a B.Sc in Animal Science and currently working on an M.Sc in Equine Science with the University of Edinburgh. I have owned my own feed store, consulted professionally as an equine nutritionist, and lectured in the fields of equine and dairy nutrition at the University level for 5 years. I have developed and currently market 'Ration-X', a ration formulation program for horses...designed for the everyday horse owner. I am happy to help in any way I can.

Experienced in developing and implementing feed programs for horses of all disciplines, creating custom horse supplements and managing inter-disciplinary equine facilities. Specialize in equine nutrition consulting.

The American Society of Equine Appraisers

'Stable Management' Handbook, Equine Canada.

M.Sc (Equine Science-current), B.Sc(Agr) Animal Science, Equine Sports Massage Therapy Certification, Farrier Certification, Equine Consultant Certification, Certified Equine Appraiser, Certified in Emergency Equine Rescue.