Horses - Diet and Nutrition/two times feeding three

hello ma'am. i would like to feed my horses 3 times a day since you told me 2 times wont be enough for a horse. but, i am afraid that sudden change in the feed timings i.e making two times feeding three, does it lead to health issues in horses?

Hello Caine,

Thank you for your question.  If I remember correctly, my recommendation was to increase the number of feedings and decrease the amount of grain per feeding when a large amount of concentrate is being fed daily.  Twice a day feeding is fine if you're feeding only a small amount, but inadequate for large amounts.  Having said that, you should not be concerned about immediately decreasing the amount of grain fed in any one feeding.  This transition is much safer than increasing feeding amounts.  Remember though, my recommendation was to maintain the same amount fed daily but spread it out over three feedings instead of two.  It was NOT to maintain the same amount per feeding and add a feeding.  

Thanks, Corlena

Horses - Diet and Nutrition

Corlena Patterson

I can help with any of your horse nutrition questions and concerns. I have been involved with horses for closing on 40 years, with a B.Sc in Animal Science and currently working on an M.Sc in Equine Science with the University of Edinburgh. I have owned my own feed store, consulted professionally as an equine nutritionist, and lectured in the fields of equine and dairy nutrition at the University level for 5 years. I have developed and currently market 'Ration-X', a ration formulation program for horses...designed for the everyday horse owner. I am happy to help in any way I can.

Experienced in developing and implementing feed programs for horses of all disciplines, creating custom horse supplements and managing inter-disciplinary equine facilities. Specialize in equine nutrition consulting.

The American Society of Equine Appraisers

'Stable Management' Handbook, Equine Canada.

M.Sc (Equine Science-current), B.Sc(Agr) Animal Science, Equine Sports Massage Therapy Certification, Farrier Certification, Equine Consultant Certification, Certified Equine Appraiser, Certified in Emergency Equine Rescue.