Horses - Diet and Nutrition/in what ratio to add vegetable oil in horse feed

Question
hi ma'am. may i know in what quantity to add any type of vegetable oil in the horse feed? my riding instructor feeds the horse with barley in the evening and in the night. morning, horses would be eating chopped maize nearly 5kgs each time he feeds irrespective of the feed type.

Answer
Hello Roberts,

You should feed enough oil to fulfill your horse's energy requirements that are not met by the remainder of his ration.  There is no rule of thumb for a minimum amount to feed.  I would recommend that the total amount of fat (oil or otherwise) fed does not exceed 10% of the horse's diet.

Thanks, Corlena

Horses - Diet and Nutrition

Corlena Patterson