Horses - Diet and Nutrition/ulcers to horses that swim for 100meters

hi ma'am. can horses to prone to ulcers through 100 meters swimming exercise once a day? my boss sends his horses to swimming daily in the evenings provided the horses are on light to moderate exercise in the morning. if they undergo a heavy exercise, evening would be a 40 minutes hand walk.

Hello Robert,

Thank you for your question.  Exercise alone is not a precursor to ulcers.  There are a large number of factors that can cause horses to develop gastric ulcers, and it is possible for exercise not to be implicated at all.

Thanks, Corlena  

Horses - Diet and Nutrition

Corlena Patterson

I can help with any of your horse nutrition questions and concerns. I have been involved with horses for closing on 40 years, with a B.Sc in Animal Science and currently working on an M.Sc in Equine Science with the University of Edinburgh. I have owned my own feed store, consulted professionally as an equine nutritionist, and lectured in the fields of equine and dairy nutrition at the University level for 5 years. I have developed and currently market 'Ration-X', a ration formulation program for horses...designed for the everyday horse owner. I am happy to help in any way I can.

Experienced in developing and implementing feed programs for horses of all disciplines, creating custom horse supplements and managing inter-disciplinary equine facilities. Specialize in equine nutrition consulting.

The American Society of Equine Appraisers

'Stable Management' Handbook, Equine Canada.

M.Sc (Equine Science-current), B.Sc(Agr) Animal Science, Equine Sports Massage Therapy Certification, Farrier Certification, Equine Consultant Certification, Certified Equine Appraiser, Certified in Emergency Equine Rescue.