Horses - Diet and Nutrition/capacity of horse stomach in general

Question
hi ma'am. in general, may i know the capacity of horse stomach which weigh between 450kgs to 500kgs?

Answer
Hello Roberts,

Thank you for your question.  A horse's stomach is quite small, holding only 2-4 gallons of digesta (food mixed with water and saliva) by volume.  The total digestive system holds anywhere from 44.5-47.5 gallons of digesta.

It's safe to say that the horse's entire digestive system likely can not hold 450-500kg of feed.  Keep in mind that an average horse standing 15.1 hands, with a BCS of 5, weighs about 1200lbs or 545kg...it's unlikely that 450kg of that body weight is feed.

Thanks, Corlena  

Horses - Diet and Nutrition

Corlena Patterson