Horses - Diet and Nutrition/capacity of horse stomach in general

hi ma'am. in general, may i know the capacity of horse stomach which weigh between 450kgs to 500kgs?

Hello Roberts,

Thank you for your question.  A horse's stomach is quite small, holding only 2-4 gallons of digesta (food mixed with water and saliva) by volume.  The total digestive system holds anywhere from 44.5-47.5 gallons of digesta.

It's safe to say that the horse's entire digestive system likely can not hold 450-500kg of feed.  Keep in mind that an average horse standing 15.1 hands, with a BCS of 5, weighs about 1200lbs or's unlikely that 450kg of that body weight is feed.

Thanks, Corlena  

Horses - Diet and Nutrition

Corlena Patterson

I can help with any of your horse nutrition questions and concerns. I have been involved with horses for closing on 40 years, with a B.Sc in Animal Science and currently working on an M.Sc in Equine Science with the University of Edinburgh. I have owned my own feed store, consulted professionally as an equine nutritionist, and lectured in the fields of equine and dairy nutrition at the University level for 5 years. I have developed and currently market 'Ration-X', a ration formulation program for horses...designed for the everyday horse owner. I am happy to help in any way I can.

Experienced in developing and implementing feed programs for horses of all disciplines, creating custom horse supplements and managing inter-disciplinary equine facilities. Specialize in equine nutrition consulting.

The American Society of Equine Appraisers

'Stable Management' Handbook, Equine Canada.

M.Sc (Equine Science-current), B.Sc(Agr) Animal Science, Equine Sports Massage Therapy Certification, Farrier Certification, Equine Consultant Certification, Certified Equine Appraiser, Certified in Emergency Equine Rescue.