Horses - Diet and Nutrition/feeding a bowed tendon horse

QUESTION: Hi ma'am. 2 weeks back a 6 year old racing thoroughbred gelding from my stable developed bowed tendon on his right fore leg during the race. May I know what all feed should I cut off until he's thoroughly cured?

ANSWER: Hello Roberts,

As with any horse, he should be fed a balanced diet.  Because he is likely on full rest, if not stall rest, the diet is liekly easy to balance with a good quality forage.  Only supplement what is absolutely required...which in this case may be as little as added mineral.  

Thanks, Corlena

QUESTION: Thanks for the answer. What all minerals should my supplement contain ma'am? Can you please mention the major minerals need for this gelding?

Hello Roberts,

Your question is one that requires more time to respond to than this forum allows.  For general nutritional information I would recommend you take some time to review the information at the following link:

Thanks, Corlena  

Horses - Diet and Nutrition

Corlena Patterson

I can help with any of your horse nutrition questions and concerns. I have been involved with horses for closing on 40 years, with a B.Sc in Animal Science and currently working on an M.Sc in Equine Science with the University of Edinburgh. I have owned my own feed store, consulted professionally as an equine nutritionist, and lectured in the fields of equine and dairy nutrition at the University level for 5 years. I have developed and currently market 'Ration-X', a ration formulation program for horses...designed for the everyday horse owner. I am happy to help in any way I can.

Experienced in developing and implementing feed programs for horses of all disciplines, creating custom horse supplements and managing inter-disciplinary equine facilities. Specialize in equine nutrition consulting.

The American Society of Equine Appraisers

'Stable Management' Handbook, Equine Canada.

M.Sc (Equine Science-current), B.Sc(Agr) Animal Science, Equine Sports Massage Therapy Certification, Farrier Certification, Equine Consultant Certification, Certified Equine Appraiser, Certified in Emergency Equine Rescue.