Horses - Diet and Nutrition/feeding riding school American Quarter horse

Hello ma'am. I have a simple question for you. Hope you can answer it.

Question : My friend a resident of USA has a plan to start a riding school with American Quarter horses. May I know how much to feed those horses daily which trot for 1 hour? He cares for the horse very well.

Hello Roberts,

Much as with your previous question, they should be fed a balanced diet.  This means anchoring the ration around good quality forage.  Even horses in light work can survive on forage alone, provided it is nutrient dense enough.  Then you add supplements only as required to keep the diet balanced as work increases.  I can't provide more specific advice without more background on what forage is available, how much the horses are working, and additional details about management and health practices.

Thanks, Corlena

Horses - Diet and Nutrition

Corlena Patterson

I can help with any of your horse nutrition questions and concerns. I have been involved with horses for closing on 40 years, with a B.Sc in Animal Science and currently working on an M.Sc in Equine Science with the University of Edinburgh. I have owned my own feed store, consulted professionally as an equine nutritionist, and lectured in the fields of equine and dairy nutrition at the University level for 5 years. I have developed and currently market 'Ration-X', a ration formulation program for horses...designed for the everyday horse owner. I am happy to help in any way I can.

Experienced in developing and implementing feed programs for horses of all disciplines, creating custom horse supplements and managing inter-disciplinary equine facilities. Specialize in equine nutrition consulting.

The American Society of Equine Appraisers

'Stable Management' Handbook, Equine Canada.

M.Sc (Equine Science-current), B.Sc(Agr) Animal Science, Equine Sports Massage Therapy Certification, Farrier Certification, Equine Consultant Certification, Certified Equine Appraiser, Certified in Emergency Equine Rescue.