Horses - Diet and Nutrition/time taken to digest 1kg oats with 1/2kg wheat bran

hi ma'am. may i know within how many hours can an average thoroughbred horse digest 1kg oats along with 1/2kg wheat bran?

Hello Roberts,

That may be a bit of a difficult question to answer and depends on a number of variables.  The rate of passage can depend on a number of variables including the amount fed per feeding and the horse's activity level.  In an ideal world, oats are digested in the stomach and early portion of the small intestine.  But in an imperfect scenario, oats can travel undigested to the cecum in which case digestion (and fermentation) are stretched out over a longer period of time.

If your 1kg of oats and 1/2kg of bran are fed alone, without other feed fed immediately afterwords, it could be digested in a properly functioning stomach without excessive risk of the oats making it to the hindgut.  Emptying time for the stomach (from the time of filling) can be as quick as 12 minutes, and the rate of passage through the small intestine as quick as 1ft/minute.  

Thanks, Corlena  

Horses - Diet and Nutrition

Corlena Patterson

I can help with any of your horse nutrition questions and concerns. I have been involved with horses for closing on 40 years, with a B.Sc in Animal Science and currently working on an M.Sc in Equine Science with the University of Edinburgh. I have owned my own feed store, consulted professionally as an equine nutritionist, and lectured in the fields of equine and dairy nutrition at the University level for 5 years. I have developed and currently market 'Ration-X', a ration formulation program for horses...designed for the everyday horse owner. I am happy to help in any way I can.

Experienced in developing and implementing feed programs for horses of all disciplines, creating custom horse supplements and managing inter-disciplinary equine facilities. Specialize in equine nutrition consulting.

The American Society of Equine Appraisers

'Stable Management' Handbook, Equine Canada.

M.Sc (Equine Science-current), B.Sc(Agr) Animal Science, Equine Sports Massage Therapy Certification, Farrier Certification, Equine Consultant Certification, Certified Equine Appraiser, Certified in Emergency Equine Rescue.