Horses - Diet and Nutrition/dry chopped alfalfa hay for horses

Hi ma'am. How are you? A simple question. Can you please answer it?

Question : Many thoroughbred trainers prefer to provide dry alfalfa chopped hay to horses rather than the legume. May I know why?

Hello Roberts,

Perhaps there is some confusion over the terminology used to describe forages.  Alfalfa is in fact a herbaceous legume.  Legumes have multiple leaves per plant, where grasses have a single leaf (blade) on a plant.  

Thanks, Corlena

Horses - Diet and Nutrition

Corlena Patterson

I can help with any of your horse nutrition questions and concerns. I have been involved with horses for closing on 40 years, with a B.Sc in Animal Science and currently working on an M.Sc in Equine Science with the University of Edinburgh. I have owned my own feed store, consulted professionally as an equine nutritionist, and lectured in the fields of equine and dairy nutrition at the University level for 5 years. I have developed and currently market 'Ration-X', a ration formulation program for horses...designed for the everyday horse owner. I am happy to help in any way I can.

Experienced in developing and implementing feed programs for horses of all disciplines, creating custom horse supplements and managing inter-disciplinary equine facilities. Specialize in equine nutrition consulting.

The American Society of Equine Appraisers

'Stable Management' Handbook, Equine Canada.

M.Sc (Equine Science-current), B.Sc(Agr) Animal Science, Equine Sports Massage Therapy Certification, Farrier Certification, Equine Consultant Certification, Certified Equine Appraiser, Certified in Emergency Equine Rescue.