Horses - Diet and Nutrition/excess consumption of calcium

Question
Hi ma'am. Does excess consumption of calcium leads to ring bone in horses? I heard that it is a painful disease and should be put to sleep. Is it true? Can you please list out what all problems do horses suffer if they receive calcium in excess quantity?

Answer
Hello Roberts,

For most nutrients, there is a danger associated with feeding in excess.  Horses can suffer from nutritional toxicities just as they can suffer from nutritional deficiencies.  All things in moderation.  It may be a stretch to suggest that excess dietary calcium causes ring bone.  You are more likely to increased risk of gastric ulcers and impaired cardiac function than you are to see osteonic bone issues.  Calcium can be fed at a much higher rate than recommended without detrimental effect, provided an adequate amount of phosphorous is present.  If you are concerned with ring bone, consult your veterinarian.

Regards, Corlena

Horses - Diet and Nutrition

Corlena Patterson