Horses - Diet and Nutrition/gatric ulcers and diarrlea interrelation

Hi ma'am. May I know how gastric ulcers and diarrhea interrelated in horses?

Hello Roberts,

Diarrhea in horses is not the result of stomach problems in horses as it would be in people.  There is a large degree of separation between a horse's stomach and their colon. But diarrhea does point to intestinal issues, stemming from a range of disorders.  Horses with gastric ulcers may or may not have diarrhea, just as horses with diarrhea may or may not have ulcers.

It is possible that horses who have ulcers end up with too much undigested starch in the hindgut which can in turn cause diarrhea.  But not in all horses, and not all the time.  

There are quite a few other causes of diarrhea unrelated to gastric ulcers.  If you have a specific concern in your horse, I would recommend you speak to your veterinarian.

Horses - Diet and Nutrition

Corlena Patterson

I can help with any of your horse nutrition questions and concerns. I have been involved with horses for closing on 40 years, with a B.Sc in Animal Science and currently working on an M.Sc in Equine Science with the University of Edinburgh. I have owned my own feed store, consulted professionally as an equine nutritionist, and lectured in the fields of equine and dairy nutrition at the University level for 5 years. I have developed and currently market 'Ration-X', a ration formulation program for horses...designed for the everyday horse owner. I am happy to help in any way I can.

Experienced in developing and implementing feed programs for horses of all disciplines, creating custom horse supplements and managing inter-disciplinary equine facilities. Specialize in equine nutrition consulting.

The American Society of Equine Appraisers

'Stable Management' Handbook, Equine Canada.

M.Sc (Equine Science-current), B.Sc(Agr) Animal Science, Equine Sports Massage Therapy Certification, Farrier Certification, Equine Consultant Certification, Certified Equine Appraiser, Certified in Emergency Equine Rescue.