Horses - Diet and Nutrition/gatric ulcers and diarrlea interrelation

Question
Hi ma'am. May I know how gastric ulcers and diarrhea interrelated in horses?

Answer
Hello Roberts,

Diarrhea in horses is not the result of stomach problems in horses as it would be in people.  There is a large degree of separation between a horse's stomach and their colon. But diarrhea does point to intestinal issues, stemming from a range of disorders.  Horses with gastric ulcers may or may not have diarrhea, just as horses with diarrhea may or may not have ulcers.

It is possible that horses who have ulcers end up with too much undigested starch in the hindgut which can in turn cause diarrhea.  But not in all horses, and not all the time.  

There are quite a few other causes of diarrhea unrelated to gastric ulcers.  If you have a specific concern in your horse, I would recommend you speak to your veterinarian.

Corlena

Horses - Diet and Nutrition

Corlena Patterson