Horses - Diet and Nutrition/best feed for horses in off season

Question
Hi ma'am. Here at the local racetrack, off season is going on till June mid. The climate is very hot touching 42 degrees. May I know the best feed for racing thoroughbreds in this season?

We are not going to exercise horses with load like trotting, cantering and galloping. Both mornings and evenings horses for for swimming exercise and youngsters are broken to ride.

Answer
Hello Roberts,

Thank you for your question.  As with many of your previous general questions on feeding, it is difficult to give you a 'one size fits all' answer.  Every diet should be based on good quality forage, with grain and supplements fed as required to fill in any gaps between what nutrients your forage can supply and what nutrients your horses need.  This differs by horse and by goals.  Your horses may not be working, but you may want to take the opportunity to replenish body condition scores, maintain muscle mass and/or optimize bone density...and the requirements to do so vary from horse to horse.

Start by feeding a good quality forage free choice, and round of the diets on an as needed basis.  To provide you with more specific recommendations requires a more detailed request.

Thanks, Corlena

Horses - Diet and Nutrition

Corlena Patterson