Horses - Diet and Nutrition/best ulcer supplement

Question
Hello ma'am. Can you please suggest me a good ulcer supplement for performance horses especially thoroughbreds as per CANADIAN market?

If you dont mind, can you please clear a doubt that I have in my mind. That is, is antacid tonic and ulcer supplement one and the same in EQUINE NUTRITION?

Answer
Hello Roberts,

There is such a wide variety of ulcer supplements, of varying quality and efficacy, that I hesitate to suggest which one is 'the best'.  If you have a horse suffering from ulcers, I would highly recommend that you consult your veterinarian and seek their medical advice.  If you are looking for ways to prevent ulcers, look closely at your feeding management and your horse's stress levels to see how you can mitigate risk.

You can use aluminum and magnesium hydroxide based antacids in horses, but their effects are short lived and they have to be administered frequently.  They will serve only as a bandaid solution to a larger problem.  Products that treat the symptoms are ok short-term, but you really do have to look for a long-term solution to the underlying problem....which is often the result of stress, feeding management, or a metabolic issue leading to excessive acid production.

Corlena

Horses - Diet and Nutrition

Corlena Patterson