Horticulture/Aloe Vera as a Fertiliser Substitute

Hello Susan, I am wondering whether the use of aloe vera juice as a substitute for fertiliser is a beneficial move or does it damage/affect the grow of plants?

Thank you :)

Hi Jessica,

I would first try using it as a supplement, rather than a substitute.  If you're trying to go organic, use planttone, or another organic fertilizer, which is balanced in nutrients.  I have read that aloe vera juice is beneficial for darn near everything.  Cancer and vd spring to mind.  

What is the NPK analysis of the product you are using?  What are you trying to grow?  Is it in a pot or in the ground? Inside or outside?  Does it receive optimum water?  Does it like the dirt it's in?  Is it in the right light and temperature?  Yes, food matters greatly to plants, but they can't even use fertilizer if the other things are wrong.  While Aloe Vera may be beneficial, I don't believe it's a universal panacea, or a substitute for good gardening.

Susan Tabor

Entomology,plant pathology, agronomy, native plants, useful and edible plants,medicinal plants,landscape design and installation, plant taxonomy and identification, cultivars and varieties, Botany, nutrient deficiencies, plant recommendations and troubleshooting.

35 years as a professional horticulturist and landscape contractor. I have a network of contacts at leading universities and with acknowledged experts in the field. I've restored the landscapes of several plantations, 2 Governors mansions and owned/managed 3 nursery/garden centers. I discovered a new subspecies of Emelia in 1997. I've locally introduced several native or volunteer species into mainstream landscape design.

Morning Advocate The Register Better Homes and Gardens All Experts - Approx 1996-97

Louisiana State University - horticulture David L. Hoffman - California - phytotheraphy