Horticulture/Mandevilla plant

Rec'd. this plant as a gift with lots of buds and some flowers. This past couple of months, the buds form and look like they are about to open and then they fall off. Very few actually open up. Otherwise the plan is vining quite well in a planter.

Hi Dave,

Try giving it more light, along with a liquid fertilizer in which the middle number is the highest.  The label should say something about blooming and/or rooting, and have a formula like 9-59-8 or 12-55-6.  Let the soil dry out between waterings - actually stick your finger in the dirt to an inch below the surface and make sure it's not already moist before you water.

Susan Tabor

Entomology,plant pathology, agronomy, native plants, useful and edible plants,medicinal plants,landscape design and installation, plant taxonomy and identification, cultivars and varieties, Botany, nutrient deficiencies, plant recommendations and troubleshooting.

35 years as a professional horticulturist and landscape contractor. I have a network of contacts at leading universities and with acknowledged experts in the field. I've restored the landscapes of several plantations, 2 Governors mansions and owned/managed 3 nursery/garden centers. I discovered a new subspecies of Emelia in 1997. I've locally introduced several native or volunteer species into mainstream landscape design.

Morning Advocate The Register Better Homes and Gardens All Experts - Approx 1996-97

Louisiana State University - horticulture David L. Hoffman - California - phytotheraphy