Horticulture/Could you help me on my science fair project?

Does adding aspirin to plant water effect the growth of the plant?

Hi Peyton,

I'll help, but I won't do the work for you, or you won't learn, and you might miss out on things worth knowing.

Aspirin is an acid that actually comes from several plants, including Willow and Aspen trees.  The difference between Acids and Bases(Alkali) is called a PH scale. PH stands for Potential Hydrogen. This scale goes from 0-14.  0-6 is acidic, 7 is neutral, and 8-14 is alkaline.  Some plants, like Cranberry, grow in acid soil 3.5 - 4.0.  Others, like Cherry or Boxwood grow in soils with a higher ph level of 7.0-8.0.
Good Luck, Peyton!

Susan Tabor

Entomology,plant pathology, agronomy, native plants, useful and edible plants,medicinal plants,landscape design and installation, plant taxonomy and identification, cultivars and varieties, Botany, nutrient deficiencies, plant recommendations and troubleshooting.

35 years as a professional horticulturist and landscape contractor. I have a network of contacts at leading universities and with acknowledged experts in the field. I've restored the landscapes of several plantations, 2 Governors mansions and owned/managed 3 nursery/garden centers. I discovered a new subspecies of Emelia in 1997. I've locally introduced several native or volunteer species into mainstream landscape design.

Morning Advocate The Register Better Homes and Gardens All Experts - Approx 1996-97

Louisiana State University - horticulture David L. Hoffman - California - phytotheraphy