Horticulture/Green potatoes

I went to the store and got a bag of potatoes. I came home and saw some of the potatoes were green. Is it ok to eat green potatoes?

Hi Robert,

Thanks for an interesting question.  When potatoes form above the soil line and are exposed to light, they develop solanine, a toxin common in the Nightshade family to which they belong.  It is not destroyed by cooking.  I would cut and discard the green parts.  While it is doubtful that you would eat enough to seriously poison yourself (it is bitter-tasting), it could cause some gastro-intestinal upset.

Susan Tabor

Entomology,plant pathology, agronomy, native plants, useful and edible plants,medicinal plants,landscape design and installation, plant taxonomy and identification, cultivars and varieties, Botany, nutrient deficiencies, plant recommendations and troubleshooting.

35 years as a professional horticulturist and landscape contractor. I have a network of contacts at leading universities and with acknowledged experts in the field. I've restored the landscapes of several plantations, 2 Governors mansions and owned/managed 3 nursery/garden centers. I discovered a new subspecies of Emelia in 1997. I've locally introduced several native or volunteer species into mainstream landscape design.

Morning Advocate The Register Better Homes and Gardens All Experts - Approx 1996-97

Louisiana State University - horticulture David L. Hoffman - California - phytotheraphy