Horticulture/Green potatoes

Question
I went to the store and got a bag of potatoes. I came home and saw some of the potatoes were green. Is it ok to eat green potatoes?

Answer
Hi Robert,

Thanks for an interesting question.  When potatoes form above the soil line and are exposed to light, they develop solanine, a toxin common in the Nightshade family to which they belong.  It is not destroyed by cooking.  I would cut and discard the green parts.  While it is doubtful that you would eat enough to seriously poison yourself (it is bitter-tasting), it could cause some gastro-intestinal upset.
Susan

Horticulture

Susan Tabor