Horticulture/Giant hogweed toxicity

Question

My facebook has been a buzz recently with a news video claiming that the plant "giant hogweed" is incredibly toxic, can cause blindness and causes painful blisters on your skin.

Is it true that this plant is that dangerous?

Answer
Hi KMJ,

Yes, it is.  Heracleum mantegazzianum causes a photosensitivity that can last for months.  There are other plants that can be as bad, though.  The Manchineel tree (Hippomane Manchinella) was used as a method of torture by some of the Carib natives.  Just to walk under it after a rain can blind you permanently.  

You can find photos on the web of the injuries inflicted by hog parsley, as well as much information about the plant.
Thanking you,

Susan Tabor

Horticulture

Susan Tabor