Horticulture/Pollinating by hand

Dorotheanthus bellidiformis
Dorotheanthus bellidif  
I want to hand-pollinate Dorotheanthus bellidiformis so it will set seed.

What are the pair of plant structures indicated by the arrows in the attached picture? Is pollen applied to the tips? They only appear where a bud develops, so I thought they might be some kind of reproductive organ. However, they remain even after the flower dies. They are also rather far from the flower.

Where is the pollen applied?

Hi Janet,

No, that green "mustache" is just modified leaves.  When the flower is fully open, the female parts stand above the male stamens, which form 2 rings around it - only the inner ring is fertile.  You will easily be able to see the yellow pollen, which you will transfer to the sticky female stigma with a cotton swab.  

Ice plant, or Livingstone Daisy, is also easily pollinated by numerous insects.  If it is outside, I would be greatly surprised if it escaped pollination.

Susan Tabor

Entomology,plant pathology, agronomy, native plants, useful and edible plants,medicinal plants,landscape design and installation, plant taxonomy and identification, cultivars and varieties, Botany, nutrient deficiencies, plant recommendations and troubleshooting.

35 years as a professional horticulturist and landscape contractor. I have a network of contacts at leading universities and with acknowledged experts in the field. I've restored the landscapes of several plantations, 2 Governors mansions and owned/managed 3 nursery/garden centers. I discovered a new subspecies of Emelia in 1997. I've locally introduced several native or volunteer species into mainstream landscape design.

Morning Advocate The Register Better Homes and Gardens All Experts - Approx 1996-97

Louisiana State University - horticulture David L. Hoffman - California - phytotheraphy