Horticulture/Pruning a shrub into a tree

Question
We had what looked like a hydrangea, except it was a tree, not a shrub. I've been told that it was probably a Hydrangea paniculata 'Grandiflora' shrub that was trained into a tree form. Very pretty, with flowers that changed color as they aged.

We had to take down the tree because it was blocking access, but I would like to have another "hydrangea tree" in a better location. Fortunately, each year the stump sends up lots of shoots that I can use for air-layering or cuttings.

What I haven't figured out is how to get a shrub into tree form.

I air-layered one shoot and pruned off the side growth. While the new roots were developing, the main stem kept growing straight up. The air-layering took, but the stem was too thin for such a tall plant and it snapped in the first strong wind.

Next time, I pruned off the side growth and when it got tall, I cut off the tip. But two new shoots emerged below the cut and now the plant has a rather ugly V shape.

What is the right way to get a single, strong trunk? Should I leave the side growth on for a few years?

Answer
Hi Janet,

It's going to take several prunings to get a stem thick enough to hold up all that weight.  Also, applying a complete fertilizer midway through the growing season (8-8-8, or 13-13-13) will help.  Don't, however, apply nitrogen too late in the fall, because that will cause rapid, spindly growth.

Here is a link to give you some tips - it includes another link to a video.

http://www.viette.com/v.php?pg=615

Thanks,
Susan

Horticulture

Susan Tabor