Horticulture/Missouri Botanical Gardens

I found this on Penn State's website (
 "Sedum spurium  was renamed Phedimus spurius a few years ago and is listed that way by the USDA which also lists a separate entry for Sedum spurium. The genus Phedimus is no longer accepted by KEW or the Missouri Botanical gardens where the species is once again in the genus Sedum."

Lately, a lot of my plant searches on Google bring up the Missouri Botanical Gardens. Are they considered leaders in the field of horticulture?

Hi Janet,

Yes, the Missouri Botanical Gardens is the oldest and probably the leading plant science research center in the world.  They are dedicated to keeping the public informed - that is one of their greatest attributes.  They gather the best and the brightest minds from all over the globe.  Whatever they say, I would pretty much take as gospel.

Susan Tabor

Entomology,plant pathology, agronomy, native plants, useful and edible plants,medicinal plants,landscape design and installation, plant taxonomy and identification, cultivars and varieties, Botany, nutrient deficiencies, plant recommendations and troubleshooting.

35 years as a professional horticulturist and landscape contractor. I have a network of contacts at leading universities and with acknowledged experts in the field. I've restored the landscapes of several plantations, 2 Governors mansions and owned/managed 3 nursery/garden centers. I discovered a new subspecies of Emelia in 1997. I've locally introduced several native or volunteer species into mainstream landscape design.

Morning Advocate The Register Better Homes and Gardens All Experts - Approx 1996-97

Louisiana State University - horticulture David L. Hoffman - California - phytotheraphy