Horticulture/Unknown weed

Question
QUESTION: Susan,

I am sorry to be sending a second question, but I left out a piece of information that could be important in your efforts to answer the previous question...

I am located in the city of Newport News in Southeastern Virginia.

I suggest that you pick one of the canned answers for this "question."  One of them is for use when there is actually no question asked.

Thank you.

Fred

ANSWER: Hi Fred,

I didn't get a photo attached.  Please try again or give me a really good description of the weed.  I also need to know the type of shrub the hedge is composed of.
Thanks,
Susan

Unknown Weed
Unknown Weed  
QUESTION: Susan,

I'm sorry the image didn't come through the first time.  I have attached it to this follow-up question.

I don't know what the shrub is and no one is available to ask until next week.  The shrubs are widely spaced, so there is ample sunshine available to the ground below.

If this picture also fails, it may be due to its size.  If so, I'll try to figure out a way to reduce the resolution and try once more.

If you are unable to identify the plant, I'll ask about the shrub when they get back and send another follow-up.

Thanks,
Fred

Answer
Hi Fred,

That looks like common purslane (portulaca oleracea) from the photo.  It is a fleshy, succulent-type weed, and post-emergent herbicides that don't move through the soil (like round-up) don't work well on it.  It makes a ton of seeds, too, so it's important to attack it before it has a chance to drop all of them.  I think your best bet here is to remove as much as you can manually, then put a heavy mulch (pine bark, straw, etc) at least 3" deep.  In spring, I would begin using a pre-emerge herbicide (dimension, preen, amaze, etc) that you just sprinkle on top of the mulch like salt to keep any remaining seeds from germinating.  Hope this helps!
Thanks,
Susan

Horticulture

Susan Tabor