Horticulture/Unknown weed

I am sorry to be sending a second question, but I left out a piece of information that could be important in your efforts to answer the previous question...

I am located in the city of Newport News in Southeastern Virginia.

I suggest that you pick one of the canned answers for this "question."  One of them is for use when there is actually no question asked.

Thank you.

ANSWER: Hi Fred,

I didn't get a photo attached.  Please try again or give me a really good description of the weed.  I also need to know the type of shrub the hedge is composed of.

Unknown Weed
Unknown Weed  

I'm sorry the image didn't come through the first time.  I have attached it to this follow-up question.

I don't know what the shrub is and no one is available to ask until next week.  The shrubs are widely spaced, so there is ample sunshine available to the ground below.

If this picture also fails, it may be due to its size.  If so, I'll try to figure out a way to reduce the resolution and try once more.

If you are unable to identify the plant, I'll ask about the shrub when they get back and send another follow-up.

Hi Fred,

That looks like common purslane (portulaca oleracea) from the photo.  It is a fleshy, succulent-type weed, and post-emergent herbicides that don't move through the soil (like round-up) don't work well on it.  It makes a ton of seeds, too, so it's important to attack it before it has a chance to drop all of them.  I think your best bet here is to remove as much as you can manually, then put a heavy mulch (pine bark, straw, etc) at least 3" deep.  In spring, I would begin using a pre-emerge herbicide (dimension, preen, amaze, etc) that you just sprinkle on top of the mulch like salt to keep any remaining seeds from germinating.  Hope this helps!

Susan Tabor

Entomology,plant pathology, agronomy, native plants, useful and edible plants,medicinal plants,landscape design and installation, plant taxonomy and identification, cultivars and varieties, Botany, nutrient deficiencies, plant recommendations and troubleshooting.

35 years as a professional horticulturist and landscape contractor. I have a network of contacts at leading universities and with acknowledged experts in the field. I've restored the landscapes of several plantations, 2 Governors mansions and owned/managed 3 nursery/garden centers. I discovered a new subspecies of Emelia in 1997. I've locally introduced several native or volunteer species into mainstream landscape design.

Morning Advocate The Register Better Homes and Gardens All Experts - Approx 1996-97

Louisiana State University - horticulture David L. Hoffman - California - phytotheraphy