Horticulture/Tree Species Identification

Mystery Leaf
Mystery Leaf  
I recently found an old book (published in 1837) and there were two leaves pressed between the pages. I have tried to identify them, but have not been able to. I am attaching a picture in hopes that you will be able to identify the tree from which these leaves came.

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Hi Scott,

I don't think it's a tree.  It looks like an herbaceous plant -very likely a Rose Geranium.  Pressing flowers and leaves was very popular in the Victorian era.  Pelargoniums were at the height of their popularity in the 1800's.  They were used for all manner of illness, in baking,potpourri, and even to keep evil spirits away.

Thanks for the unusual question.  The leaves of many cultivars of rose geranium still look like this today - check Google images to see if you agree with my identification.

Susan Tabor

Entomology,plant pathology, agronomy, native plants, useful and edible plants,medicinal plants,landscape design and installation, plant taxonomy and identification, cultivars and varieties, Botany, nutrient deficiencies, plant recommendations and troubleshooting.

35 years as a professional horticulturist and landscape contractor. I have a network of contacts at leading universities and with acknowledged experts in the field. I've restored the landscapes of several plantations, 2 Governors mansions and owned/managed 3 nursery/garden centers. I discovered a new subspecies of Emelia in 1997. I've locally introduced several native or volunteer species into mainstream landscape design.

Morning Advocate The Register Better Homes and Gardens All Experts - Approx 1996-97

Louisiana State University - horticulture David L. Hoffman - California - phytotheraphy