Horticulture/Tree Species Identification

Question
Mystery Leaf
Mystery Leaf  
Hello,
I recently found an old book (published in 1837) and there were two leaves pressed between the pages. I have tried to identify them, but have not been able to. I am attaching a picture in hopes that you will be able to identify the tree from which these leaves came.

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Scott

Answer
Hi Scott,

I don't think it's a tree.  It looks like an herbaceous plant -very likely a Rose Geranium.  Pressing flowers and leaves was very popular in the Victorian era.  Pelargoniums were at the height of their popularity in the 1800's.  They were used for all manner of illness, in baking,potpourri, and even to keep evil spirits away.

Thanks for the unusual question.  The leaves of many cultivars of rose geranium still look like this today - check Google images to see if you agree with my identification.
Susan  

Horticulture

Susan Tabor