Horticulture/citrus medica missing pistil

I have a citrus tree called citrus medica(the etrog type).
It has produced flowers before but this year allot have budded. And as time went on I noticed flowers blooming and looked closely and what I discovered was that the flowers are missing the pistil. What caused this? How do I go about preventing this from happening again?thanks

Hi Matt,

My understanding is that it is normal for citron to shed the stigma and style, leaving the ovary after fertilization.  Here is a link to wiki, which has a good picture and information on the etrog citrons.

Susan Tabor

Entomology,plant pathology, agronomy, native plants, useful and edible plants,medicinal plants,landscape design and installation, plant taxonomy and identification, cultivars and varieties, Botany, nutrient deficiencies, plant recommendations and troubleshooting.

35 years as a professional horticulturist and landscape contractor. I have a network of contacts at leading universities and with acknowledged experts in the field. I've restored the landscapes of several plantations, 2 Governors mansions and owned/managed 3 nursery/garden centers. I discovered a new subspecies of Emelia in 1997. I've locally introduced several native or volunteer species into mainstream landscape design.

Morning Advocate The Register Better Homes and Gardens All Experts - Approx 1996-97

Louisiana State University - horticulture David L. Hoffman - California - phytotheraphy