Horticulture/Rooting roses

Question
Followed your advice on Rosa 'Zéphirine Drouhin' and cut it back by half, sticking some of the pruned pieces into the soil.

Well, I'm amazed—those bare stems are leafing out! I've never had luck with cuttings before; they either rot or don't develop roots.

Do roses root more easily than other plants, or is it because it's the beginning of the growing season?

Answer
Hi Janet,

I think it's the way it's done.  I once tried a recommended way of filling an aquarium with soil and putting cuttings in there, and covering the top with plastic wrap.  Not a single cutting rooted.  The first time I just pruned and stuck the cuttings back in the dirt, I had no real expectations.  Now, in spring and fall, I stick anything I have to cut a branch off of. Sometimes the simplest method is best.  I keep a damp, shady area for cuttings and have roses, azaleas, camelias, mayhaws, olives, pomegranates, and hydrangeas right now.

Thanks,
Susan  

Horticulture

Susan Tabor