Horticulture/Rooting roses

Followed your advice on Rosa 'Zéphirine Drouhin' and cut it back by half, sticking some of the pruned pieces into the soil.

Well, I'm amazed—those bare stems are leafing out! I've never had luck with cuttings before; they either rot or don't develop roots.

Do roses root more easily than other plants, or is it because it's the beginning of the growing season?

Hi Janet,

I think it's the way it's done.  I once tried a recommended way of filling an aquarium with soil and putting cuttings in there, and covering the top with plastic wrap.  Not a single cutting rooted.  The first time I just pruned and stuck the cuttings back in the dirt, I had no real expectations.  Now, in spring and fall, I stick anything I have to cut a branch off of. Sometimes the simplest method is best.  I keep a damp, shady area for cuttings and have roses, azaleas, camelias, mayhaws, olives, pomegranates, and hydrangeas right now.

Susan Tabor

Entomology,plant pathology, agronomy, native plants, useful and edible plants,medicinal plants,landscape design and installation, plant taxonomy and identification, cultivars and varieties, Botany, nutrient deficiencies, plant recommendations and troubleshooting.

35 years as a professional horticulturist and landscape contractor. I have a network of contacts at leading universities and with acknowledged experts in the field. I've restored the landscapes of several plantations, 2 Governors mansions and owned/managed 3 nursery/garden centers. I discovered a new subspecies of Emelia in 1997. I've locally introduced several native or volunteer species into mainstream landscape design.

Morning Advocate The Register Better Homes and Gardens All Experts - Approx 1996-97

Louisiana State University - horticulture David L. Hoffman - California - phytotheraphy