Horticulture/Potting media

Question
When starting from seed, is it necessary to use "seed starting mix" rather than potting soil or garden soil?

The seed starting mix I bought seems to be mostly peat moss and vermiculite. I can't tell if this is better for seeds, or just a marketing ploy.

Answer
Hi Janet,

No, any sterile mix will do, albeit, some are better than others.  The reason it has to be sterile is that young plants in pots are subject to a disease called damping off, which is caused by a bacteria called rhizoctonia.  It doesn't effect seedlings planted directly into the ground nearly as much.

If you don't like the mix you got, get a cheap potting mix consisting of mostly sand and bark and mix them together.
Thanks,
Susan

Horticulture

Susan Tabor