Horticulture/american hazelnut

Question
I recently purchased a few american hazelnut trees for my parents farm.  They are very bushy and i was inquiring on how to safely prune them into a single trunk or main leader.  The general rule of thumb is not to prune more than 30% of the tree.  But i was wondering if this applied to the hazelnut tree.  There are a lot of suckers that are only a year old.  What is the recommended action to get the hazelnuts into a single or even a double leader without over pruning, or waiting too long to prune it and then over stressing the tree.    Thank you

Answer
Hi Darren,

Sorry to be so long answering - my computer was on the fritz, and still is.  I've never personally grown Hazelnut, but I did some research, and it appears that professional growers keep them more shrubby than in tree form.  I would prune suckers, though.  Youtube has several videos on pruning hazelnut trees, as well as growing tips, etc.  

Thanks,
Susan

Horticulture

Susan Tabor